Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A Week In Film: 3/15/2009-3/21/2009


Okay, folks. This is going to be an easy one. For whatever reason--I'm blaming SXSW--I only watched one film for this posting. That film: Hellboy II The Golden Army. I've been pretty busy this week, and it continues still. So, I won't write much. 

My quick review: the mediocrity of the 3/8-3/14 week spilled over an extra day onto my Sunday viewing of HBII. Not a terrible movie, but not a great one either. At the very least it looks fantastic. The special effects makeup is phenomenal. And to be fair, I wasn't expecting a whole lot from this film to begin with. I liked the first film, but that viewing was undeniably enhanced by low expectations. I was never a reader of the comic books, so I had no connection to the story prior to the first film. And because I did enjoy the first installment,--surprisingly so, in fact--my expectations were a little higher (but not much) for the sequel. In the end I got what I was expecting: a film with great style (something director Guillermo del Toro always brings to the table), a story I didn't have to actively construct, but was presented for me in a mindless, yet relaxing way (not always a desirable trait, but what I was looking for at the time), and plenty of Ron Perlman

Image Source:

2 comments:

Unknown said...

even your quick reviews make me laugh :-)

Michael Thielvoldt said...

uh...it was meant to be dramatic and deep.